About Pantego, Texas
Pantego is a Type A General Law Municipality incorporated in Tarrant County in the Cross Timbers, some 10 miles southeast of the Tarrant County Court House in Fort Worth. It is approximately one square mile in area. It is surrounded on three sides by the City of Arlington and on one side—the south side— by the City of Dalworthington Gardens. West Park Row and Pioneer Parkway (TX Spur 303) are the two major east-west traffic corridors, while South Bowen Road is the major north-south traffic corridor.
Originally incorporated in 1949, the town dissolved in February 1952 and re-incorporated on May 22, 1952. The earliest Europeans in the area are thought to be the members of the De Soto Expedition under Luis de Moscoso in 1542. It is believed that members of the expedition camped near what is now Village Creek.
In 1841, during the time of the Republic of Texas, troops under the command of Gen. Edward H. Tarrant skirmished with local Native Americans in the area.
Formal settlement of what would become Tarrant County began in the early 1840s. Early settlers included Col. Middleton Tate Johnson and Col. Frederick Forney Foscue. Col. Foscue bought land in the area and reportedly accumulated 3,360 acres. He also sold land and rented some on shares. A dominant figure in the settlement of the Pantego area, Col. Foscue is generally regarded as the first Pantego land developer. According to local tradition, the colonel had a Native American friend named Pantego. In 1883, when Col. Foscue donated land for a school, the school was named “Pantego” in honor of the donor’s friend.
To view the Pantego website, please click here.