The Texas House of Representatives Districts representing Arlington participated in a virtual candidate showcase on Tuesday, October 6, 2020. Each candidate had 5 minutes for an opening statement and then answered questions. The Chamber wanted to provide an opportunity to get to know candidates that may represent us in the 87th Texas Legislature. The event was open to Chamber members in Arlington, Mansfield and HEB.
To remain neutral, the questions were provided to the candidates in advance and were asked in the same order. Each candidate had seven minutes for questions, and the number of questions asked varied by the candidate.
- What should the state do to reinvigorate the Texas economy after COVID-19?
- What will be necessary to fund public education with the expected state funding shortfall?
- Should school districts be able to participate in economic incentives to attract new businesses to Texas?
- How do you feel about public-private partnerships to build necessary transportation infrastructure?
- Will you support anti-discrimination legislation in the coming session?”
Participants included Mansfield Mayor David Cook and Attorney Joe Drago who are competing in District 96. Alisa Simmons, President of the Arlington NAACP and incumbent representative Tony Tinderholt participated from District 94. Candidates for Northeast Arlington’s district 93, Dr. Lydia Bean and incumbent representative Matt Krause both spoke. Attorney Jeff Whitfield, candidate for District 92 also participated. His opponent, former Bedford City Councilman Jeff Cason, agreed to participate but had a last-minute emergency.
Early voting will begin October 13 and run through October 30. Election Day is Tuesday, November 3.
CLICK HERE to view a recording of the event.